The residents’ association for Sopwell Lane, Albert Street, Pageant Road, Hart Road, The Ryder Seed Mews Estate, Saracens Head Yard, Pearce’s Walk and Keyfield Terrace
Notes of SAPHRA Meeting held on Monday 3rd October 2022 at 8pm
at the White Hart Hotel, Holywell Hill
1. Present: Officials: Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Minutes Secretary
Cllr Jacqui Taylor
4 residents of Sopwell Lane
2 residents of Malthouse Court
1 resident of Albert Street
2 residents of Pageant Road
1 resident of Saracens Head Yard
2. Apologies for absence: Cllr Chris White, Cllr Danny Clare and 4 residents
3. Subjects discussed at the meeting were:
- Finances and bank account:
Our available funds currently stand at £381.28.
SAPHRA’s account with HSBC has been closed and their cheque for the balance is STILL awaited. The current reason for the delay in receiving the cheque is because HSBC claim they have mislaid our recent correspondence with them.
An account in the name of SAPHRA has now been opened at Metro Bank.
- Herts County Council - High Street Recovery Trial:
It seems likely that Market Place will stay closed to traffic whatever else happens.
Likely launch of phase 2 (George St closed 7 days/week, High St closed weekends) towards the end of October, because the gates are on their way.
Latest information from:
- Herts County Council – Active Travel Scheme – Safe Cycle Route
Proposed trial of barrier in Old London Road, consultation showed 90% against so it won’t be happening. Cllr Chris White is hoping that some other parts of the scheme can go ahead.
- Southwest Herts Joint Strategic Plan consultation
St Albans District Council are collaborating with adjacent Councils to prepare a joint plan. There is a public consultation online at:
The consultation closes on 4th November.
- St Albans City Vision:
St Albans District Council held a City Vision Workshop recently. Our Vice Chair attended. The aim is to create a vision for the City Centre and incorporate it into the Local Plan that is currently being prepared.
- St Albans District Council proposals for the City Centre Opportunity Site North and Culture:
Our Chair is a member of one of the stakeholder groups. Investigations and planning continue but work has slowed because rampant inflation and greatly increased cost of borrowing mean that the project will inevitably be delayed.
Continues next page
- Car Parking Strategy Consultation:
St Albans District Council are preparing a new parking strategy. There is a survey at:
The closing date of this consultation is 25 October 2022.
- City Neighbourhoods Committee: There has been no meeting of the CNC since our last meeting. The next meeting of the CNC will be held 12 October 2022. Roger will represent SAPHRA.
- On-street parking and the proposed pinch-point in Sopwell Lane:
All work by District Council Officers had been put on hold due to Council proposals for a road closure in Old London Road. Once SADC receives notification from HCC that the road closure will not take place, SADC officers will be able to resume work.
- The green oasis in Sopwell Lane:
We are currently waiting to find out if:
1. the Green Oasis, 9 - 33 Sopwell Lane will qualify as part of the Wilder Spaces scheme.
2. If the tree planting team at SADC have agreed to plant a mature Rowan on the site, to celebrate the late Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
3. Irrespective of those two decisions, whether we could arrange for John O'Connor to keep cutting the grass, but at a higher blade setting, in order to enable small plants to take hold.
SAPHRA is not asking for any money at this point.
A working party will be meeting on Sunday 16 October 2022 to resume tidying and clearing the site and begin laying down the rear border so as to begin planting up with wild flowers and hedgerow saplings.
- Any Other Business:
- Parking Infringements:
There have been recent instances of cars parked in Residents’ parking bays for several consecutive days without attracting a penalty notice. Cllr Taylor is investigating.
- Application for Solar Panels:
The District Council is running a scheme to enable residents of St Albans to have solar panels installed at a discount. However, few of our residents would be able to take up the scheme because Conservation Area rules, and Article 4 rules where applicable, mean that it would be unlikely that an installation would get planning permission. This subject is on the agenda for the next meeting of the CNC.
- SAPHRA Christmas meal: A venue and date were agreed. All those eligible (i.e. those who have attended one of our meetings or working parties in the past year) will receive an invitation soon.
- Date of next meeting:
The next SAPHRA meeting will be held on Monday 21 November 2022 at 8pm in the first-floor meeting room (Resident’s Lounge) in the White Hart Hotel, 23-25 Holywell Hill, St Albans, AL1 1EZ.
- Date of Annual General Meeting
SAPHRA’s AGM will be held on Tuesday 10th January 2023 at 8pm in the first-floor meeting room (Resident’s Lounge) in the White Hart Hotel, 23-25 Holywell Hill, St Albans, AL1 1EZ.
Useful information about a range of local services can be found through our website…