Minutes of the meeting on 07 November 2016


The residents’ association for Sopwell Lane, Albert Street, Pageant Road, Hart Road, The Ryder Seed Mews Estate, Saracens Head Yard, Pearce’s Walk and Keyfield Terrace


Minutes of Meeting held on Monday 07 November 2016 at 8pm
at the Clarion Collection Hotel, Holywell Hill.

1.    Present:  Bernadette Blade, Jacqueline Briggs, Cllr Alec Campbell, Kam Cheung, Mary Green, Anthony Hyde, Jenny Johnson, Pamela Johnson, Catherine Jones, Angela King, Catriona Martin, Roger Morton, Mary Plackett, Elaine Rainsford

2.    Apologies:  Avril Allen, Katie Barron, Tim Boatswain, Cllr Alun Davies, Charles Davies, Cllr Simon Grover, Daryl Stannard, Cllr Chris White

3.    Minutes of previous meeting: The minutes of the meeting held on Monday 05 September 2016 had been circulated by email and a copy was made available at this meeting. The minutes were approved.

4.    Matters arising: None

5.    Finances: Anthony Hyde confirmed that after having received a contribution of £20 the balance in the bank was £374.22. Roger mentioned that SAPHRA needs to claim the £100 annual Council grant. Roger will do this.

6.    Our local environment:

  • Lorry ban / speed restriction / pinch-point in Sopwell Lane: The informal consultation notice re a proposed 20mph zone in the vicinity of Sopwell Lane and Riverside Road was circulated on 07 November 2016 to those immediately affected by this proposal. Residents have been asked to send in their comments by 25 November 2016 either by email or letter. Some residents claimed they had not received a copy of this notice so further copies will be made available.
  • Green oasis in Sopwell Lane: Angela King informed the members that the construction works had ceased on the land adjacent to the green oasis site and that a working party will be set up to resume gardening works in the Spring. Pam has kindly donated some plants for later use.
  • Missing bollards in Sopwell Lane (near the Hare And Hounds): Cllr Sandy Walkington has agreed to pay for the reinstatement of the missing bollards. He is awaiting a date from the County Council.
  • Void in Albert Street (in the boundary wall of Ryder Seed Mews): Cllr Alun Davies has agreed to arrange a meeting with Roger and a District Council officer to discuss alternative, less expensive, options for this project.
  • Improving access to Albert Street Car Park: Cllr Alun Davies is in talks with Debbie White (District Council Officer) who is now in charge of this project.
  • Reinstatement of speed cushions in Albert Street: The speed cushions have now been reinstated in Albert Street. There were mixed feelings among the members about the effectiveness of these new cushions as they did not appear to have increased much in height. Roger informed the members that they did conform to regulations.
  • Pearce’s Walk planter: Roger and Cathy have dug over the soil in the planter and have sown a large quantity of wild flower seed.
  • Weeds: Cllr Alec Campbell has requested an overview of the working strategies with regard to the treatment and disposal of weeds in the district as there appears to be some confusion over who carries out what work and where. He will send Roger his findings.
  • Missing street signs: Cllr Alec Campbell informed members that there had recently been a marked increase in the theft of street signs and any missing or damaged signs should be reported to the Council. The street sign that was broken in Sopwell Lane has been repaired and reinstated.

7.    City Neighbourhoods Committee:

Angela King kindly attended the last CNC meeting, held on 08 September 2016, and she gave members a quick summary of the various issues that were raised.

  • The minutes of CNC meetings are available on the District Council website
  • The next meeting is due to be held on Thursday 19 January 2017.

8.    Consultation on controlled parking zone M: A survey/questionnaire letter was circulated to all residents within the controlled M zone and the questionnaires were to be returned by 12 October 2016. We are currently awaiting the results.

9.    Registering pubs as Assets of Community Value:

We are currently in the process of completing the Council’s nomination form to register the White         Hart Tap pub in Keyfield Terrace as an Asset of Community Value. CAMRA has supplied us with the necessary documentation to submit with the application and all relevant parties will be consulted.

10.. Register of local contractors: We are now receiving a number of recommendations which will be entered into the book and will be made available at each SAPHRA meeting. Please could you include your name as the referee and a short review of the works undertaken if possible.

11.  SAPHRA Christmas party: Elaine Rainsford (of the Hare And Hounds) circulated Christmas menus to the members requesting that food selections be returned to the pub by the end of November as a spreadsheet format. Elaine will email this to Roger for completion.

12.  Any other business:

It was agreed that our next open invitation to all our residents to join us for drinks should be on 17 January 2017 at the Garibaldi pub, in Albert Street, at 8.00pm.

13.  Date of next meeting: To be held on Monday 23 January 2017.

Note regarding Neighbourhood Watch: SAPHRA members are encouraged to sign up for the OWL (On-line Watch Liaison) scheme. SAPHRA can provide OWL sign-up forms to any interested party. It is also possible to sign up for OWL Messages via www.owl.co.uk. For those members who do not have email it is possible to obtain OWL Messages via a home phone (landline).